Okay, yesterday and today were my orientation for my VERY LAST nursing classes (of my BSN). Here's what I have learned so far about home health:
1. We may be going into Bad Neighborhoods, but, in the words of my professor, "I don't care how much you cry, or if your parents call the dean. You are GOING to your assigned locations, or you don't graduate. So deal."
2. Wound / ostomy care is SO not going to be my specialty. It's not very fast paced, and, frankly, it smells bad.
3. I am most definitely going to get lost trying to get to these people's houses
4. It is UNLIKELY (but in no way impossible) that people will have guns sitting out on tables. If they do, ask them politely to put them away. This has only happened once so far to my professor.
5. This is going to be a long three weeks if this heat doesn't break...its REALLY FREAKING HOT here.