Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Times they are A'Changin

Since I last posted, I have gotten not one but TWO jobs- first as a part time school nurse, and now as a Nurse Resident at the North's Best Hospital. I am SO proud. I'll be on a med-surg floor, but it seems pretty high-acuity, and like a great place to learn.

My fellow interns are AMAZING- over half have a non-nursing degree, just like me, and the skill sets are kind of alarmingly high. We have an electrical engineer, a fly-fishing guide, several former financial gurus, etc. The hospital has been nothing but welcoming. In fact, this hospital has kind of a reputation for being super nice to everyone. Doctors smile and hug nurses in the halls, transporters will high-five you, it's a great climate to learn in.

But it's not, naturally, all hearts and roses, and kittens: what with the budgetary crisis all over the Frozen Northlands, it looks like we're going to have a serious budget issue- our jobs are, for the moment, safe (we're cheap, we nurse interns) but...who the heck knows about the future!

I have yet to treat a patient- the first week is all orientation classes, and sim labs, but tomorrow i'm actually shadowing my preceptor on my unit. My two fellow interns on our floor are The Fisher, and M. They're nice, smart, funny, and are going to be a pleasure to work with.

One problem: I haven't had a med/surg patient in...something like a year and a half. Steep learning curves? I has them.

No comments: