Sunday, April 5, 2009

Back to OB

Good news! I just found out that I get to go back to do a second OB floor observation! This time I'm going in for a Friday dayshift, so that hopefully I can see an induction and/or C-section...or just a plain old BIRTH! I'm a little unusual for my classmates...I'm a natural birthing advocate ALREADY, thanks to my Mama. She was adamant about her own natural childbirths (me and Younger Brother), and it really rubbed off on me. I even went up until surgery with my appendicitis because i knew that childbirth HAD to be worse, and if Mama could do it, so could I (turned out to be a great choice, as I was lucid enough to refuse full anesthesia, and got a spinal instead, which worked MARVELOUSLLY well).

Still...a C-section would be really good to see, since I'm sure we'll see them on our OB rotation, and I'd like to see one before i have to be knowledgable and competent as an assistant.

3 comments:

Life on Pause said...

Cool!
I'm probably facing a C-section if I ever give birth....I think it would be cool to see one before I had to have it done...Best get my butt into an RN program eh?

Alpine, R.N. said...

couldn't hurt!!

If you're not sure, see if you can do a few observations in different units. If you absolutely HAAATE it, then you'll know early!

Joy@WDDCH said...

I'd love to be an OB nurse someday, when my kids are grown (right now my focus is raising them and might go to school in the meantime- haven't decided yet!).

Good luck!